Welcome to the Official Naomh Malachi website

Hunterstown prove too strong for Mals

Hunterstown prove too strong for Mals

Hunterstown 3-14 Naomh Malachi 1-7

Despite losing talisman forward Ryan Burns to America, Hunterstown racked up a pretty impressive scoreline against Naomh Malachi in Stabannon in bright conditions on Sunday. Despite kicking fifteen wides and kicking one into the keepers hands, Paddy McGuinness’s side won with ultimately plenty to spare. With a full forward that contributed 2-6 of that 3-14 Hunterstown were a threat with every attack, with Glen Mathews and Paul Carrie menacing and lively. They also defended soundly turning over the Malachis 14 times from 27 attacks that the Malachis had at Paddy McGuinness’ side.

Niall Carrie who worked hard all day for Hunterstown opened up the scoring for his side with their first attack. The lively Glen Mathews followed that up moments later. Tony McKenna converted a free for 0-3 points to no score. It seemed as if the writing was on the wall for the Malachis but to Tom Gribben’s side’s credit they fought back and won a penalty when Colin Rooney was fouled in the large rectangle. Former Louth defender Ronan Greene converted the penalty to level things up inside 10 minutes. Colin Rooney converted a free kick shortly after which was followed up by a Pierce Caherty effort to make it 1-2 to 0-3 points in the Malachis favour. That seemed to spark  Hunterstown into life as they went on to score 1-3 without reply Paul Carrie converted a free before the same player fisted the ball to the net after good work from Glen Mathews. Alan Landy sent a right footed shot over the bar which was followed by another point from Glen Mathews. Hunterstwon then struck for goal number two through Keith Brennan. He played a one two with Paul Carrie before emphatically finishing to the net past Liam McCann to give Hunterstown a 2-6 to 1-2 lead approaching half time. Pierce Caherty scored his second point of the game for the Malachis to leave it at half time 2-6 to 1-3 in Hunterstown’s favour. Hunterstown would surely have been kicking themselves at the break as  they wastefully kicked 8 first half wides and should have been more than 6 points clear.

Back to back Colin Rooney free kicks did put the Malachis just four points in arrears. Hunterstown manger Paddy McGuinness sent on Padraig Mathews into the attack and this proved to be an inspired substitution as Mathews helped himself to 0-3 points from play. The first of theses points put his side five points clear. Tony McKenna increased this gap to six points shortly after. Hunterstown went on to outscore their opponents by 1-7 to 0-1 from here on. Paul Carrie converted another close range free which preceded another Padraig Mathews point. Ryan Ward scored back to back points of his own as Hunterstown proceeded to pull away from the Malachis. Their dominance was awarded by another goal from Paul Carrie. A Padraig Mathews shot was blocked. It ricocheted to Glen Mathews who selflessly set up Carrie for an easy finish. Both Carrie and Padraig Mathews added more scores to put further gloss on the scoreline from a Hunterstown perspective. The hard working Ronan Greene did end the Malachis long wait for a score from a close range free, but the game was over as a contest. Hunsterstown looked impressive in patches. When they played the ball fast into Paul Carrie and Glen Mathews, they looked dangerous. But manager Paddy McGuinness will not be happy with the wasteful shooting of 15 wides. Paul Carrie did score 2-3 and he helped show that there is life after Ryan Burns after all.

Hunterstwon: Alan Fedigan; Brian Mathews, David Finn, Richard Cunningham; Patrick Taaffe, Muiris O’Suilleabhháin Keith Brennan(1-0); Tony McKenna(0-2), Patrick Mathews; Alan Landy(0-1), Brendan Lennon, Ryan Ward(0-2); Paul Carrie(2-3), Niall Carrie(0-1), Glen Mathews(0-2).
Subs: Padraig Mathews(0-3) for Alan Landy, Paddy Mooney for Richard Cunningham, Conor Mathews for Patrick Mathews, Pheilm McQuilan for Brian Mathews.

Naomh Malachi: Liam McCann; Shane Roddy, Stephen Burns, Ronan Greene(1-2)  1pen 2f; Colin Hoey, Ronan Lynch, Conor Gonnelly; Pierce Caherty, Padraig Moley; Darren Rowland, Ronan McElroy, Donanl Begley; Colin Rooney(0-3) 3f, Eamon Agnew, Tiernan Gonnelly.
Subs: Eamon Murphy for Donal Begley (Black Card), Michael Murtagh  for Eamon Agnew (black card), Feihlim Daly for Tiernan Gonelly.

Referee: Desmond McDonnell

Paul Carrie Hunterstown Rovers

Leave a Reply